Blogging is all about engaging people...
Sunday, September 17, 2006
You try each and every trick round the corner to bring people to your blog and, in this respect, the promotion and marketing of your blog plays an important role. However, to maintain their readership you need to develop interest and create a bond between you and them. Imagine there are 100 new readers to your blog every month but you have no repeat visitors, what would be your readership... so it is very necessary to make your blog interesting and interactive.
There are many ways in which you can do this with your writing and some of the best are outlined below - combined, they can give you a real edge in developing your readership and hence your customer base.
• Content: Content is the king online. The most basic element is good content. It has to be relevant to your blog topic and should be interesting. Believe in quality and not how much you write. Post once in a week but be sure you are providing quality content. You can ask questions, ask readers to comment on your post, allow readers to ask you about their problems... the main basic is to make your blog interesting and interactive.
Try this: Once in a while post a story or your personal experience which makes the content more catchy.
• Passion: Be passionate about what you write. Yes, you have to do this one. How do you imagine your readers be enthusiastic about reading your blog till you are not passionate about the subject you are blogging about? It should be full of life and should insist your readers mind to give a thought on what you are delivering.
• Ideas: Be original. Don’t simply regenerate other people’s ideas, bring some of your own into the mix. What effect will it have on you if you read here what you have read elsewhere, a no. of times. It degrades quality and may even cost you long term readership... so be a natural.
• Actions: You need to practice what you say. If you don't follow it, do you expect others will follow what you preach. So as the slogan of Nike says "Just do it".
• Delivery: Be humorous, be witty, be innovative. Argue with reason, confront your readers. How you write about the subjects that you cover will influence your readership, so pick one which will appeal to your intended audience.
• Look and Feel: Don't overdo the design of the blog. Make it simple but never make the quality of your blog suffer. Every reader is an individual and has his own tastes, likings and dislikings. They tend to respond differently. Ensure that the design of your blog supports the content and displays it to best effect.
• Focus: It is very essential to be in focus of what you write in your blog. Don't beat around the bush(neither your's nor your neighbours). Focus on a particular area, industry or issue of your niche. This will help you reaching out to your target audience. It will help you in planning your blog successfuly.
• Information: A surfer is a searcher of information. If your visitor is reading your blog then surely he is need of information. It is your duty to provide him with useful and accurate information. Adding your own analysis to this by presenting differing opinions and then expressing your own opinion would be ideal. You can also ask for readers' opinion about the subject, and if you are successful in gathering sufficient amount of them your next post can be based on your public opinion analysis.
• Communication: Well it is worth mentioning again and again that blogs are a communication tool. You should have a rapport with your readers, the more you communicate effeciantly the more repeat visitors you will get. Be straight-forward and talk to them as if you are talking to your friend through a written medium. Create a two-way discussion by the way you present your posts and by asking for feedback.
• Relate: Try and keep your topics practical based on real happenings your readers can relate to. Try not to be very hypothetical. The best type of writing will talk about subject areas that your readers are familiar with, so always try to give examples that your readers will be able to identify and understand easily. It is not about how well you write, it is how well you communicate your feelings, opinions or information to them.
Have fun when you are blogging because its not about doing a job its doing it passionately. If you can combine a number of these elements in your posts then the chances of being able to engage your readers and getting them to return on a regular basis will be greatly increased.
My Next Post- A blunder I made while blogging.
Blogging,Business Blogging, Blog, Business blogs, Optimize Blogging