The Death of Search Engine Domination in Web2.0
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
The flaws in search engine that caused the evolvement of Social Media sites:
a. Search engine results cannot be updated instantly.
b. Keywords based traffic. We needed Tags.
c. No value to user developed content. Many times search engine considered such content as duplicate content.
d. Search engine robots and their algorithms rated the content of website.
e. Search engines inability in re-using the same traffic effectively.
From a marketers or bloggers context, social media sites can be divided into two broad categories-
● Content driven, where a member is known for how many stories he is providing and how much people appreciate them. These are like Digg, Netscape etc.
● Community based where member is known for number of other members supporting his particular blog or services. Instead of stories, blogs, services and person behind them are voted. Example MyBlogLog.com or LinkedIN
People learned using these types of sites for generating traffic to their websites or blog. MySpace was no more a website for younger generation but marketers started using so effectively for getting large amount of targeted traffic. Marketers learned to create their communities with similar interest.
With the evolving media of Social Media Sites, and with so much of traffic these have, the need to have top rankings in the SERP's has decreased and the need to optimize content for sites likes Digg, MySpace, del.icio.us etc. has become a very important factor. We have learned to get traffic as well as develop content, which appeal masses.
In most cases if you live to these social media, then you are automatically optimized for search engines. So basically gone were the days of Search Engine Domination and SEO experts domination. Recently I was in one of the forums, I read a story where a discussion was going on Why SEO firms should close.
Why use upcoming Social Media Sites?
1.Increase your Audience Circle:- Increase your visibility, Accessibility and Traffic to your site. Should I speak any more? With you participating in Social Media Networking, you increase your consumer base, visible to more people with varied interests would visit your blog/site(and find their way through whatever you would have written).
2. Linkability goes roof high- You want it, I know. Everybody does. Me too. Just do not speak that you do, and do not ask for them. Though being socially active you will have lots of opportunities to ask for a link exchange, but it will be hundred times better that you don’t, because then people will link you for your quality, your words and your presentation. The marvel of this is that those would all be incoming links. You can reward your friends by linking back by writing about them or adding them to your blogroll.
3. Bookmarking becomes easy- No need to remember your favorite sites, just log in and surf from where ever, is the motto. You can give your readers the option to add you to the Technorati Favorites or on Delicious. You can also provide icons like these under each article to help your visitor easily make you available through his account.
4. Relevant tagging- Though Tagging and bookmarking go hand in hand, I took another point to describe it just to tell you how and why tagging is more important. Creating relevant tags will help search engines find you easily for the content that would have been bookmarked by your visitors, under the tags. Its obvious but worth to mention.
5. Make your content travel- When you have portable files of PDF Reports, Podcasts and Vodcasts travel very easily over the network. Its almost like providing freebies, which can act as a buzz for your fame.
6. Get targeted visitors- You will attract targeted visitors automatically, when other members will either search a tag or visit your profile or by the article you submit.
7. More Comments- More visitors, the more discussions about what you write and more comments on your story. Just keep in mind to be a part of discussion at others blogs and reply at yours.
As Internet gets mature, it gets more important to get traffic from as many places and make their content reach to the mass audience. People get choosier in selecting stories. People, who know their stuff, are smart enough to manipulate their stories, their blogs to get most from the traffic from these social media websites. They know how to put right buzz (hyper link) in their blog and cash the maximum traffic.
A Few Highly rated Social Media Sites.
1. Netscape: (Alexa ranking- 471)A system bit similar to Digg but not its clone. Better anti spam policies and profile pages are very much valued by search engines also.
2. Technorati: (Alexa ranking- 204) Most effective tagging. Helps you know who is linking to you on real time basis(most of the time) along with easily bookmarking options.
3. Digg: (Alexa ranking- 74) Its like ‘the coke’ of Internet. Original and the best. Digg provides lots of traffic and many like to link the top stories. So good source of getting too many targeted in bound links.
4. LinkedIn: (Alexa ranking- 179)Among the best place to put your resume. You can tell about yourself here, as well tell ow many people recoomandes you. It's Who know who feature is really cool. again very much valued by search engines.
5. PlugIM: (Alexa ranking- 29,594)Type of Digg clone but just for marketers and marketing content.
Other interesting ones I work on and will be working to build influence are Reddit, Squidoo, Del.icio.us, MyBlogLog, Stumble Upon and news wine, and I would keep telling my experiences to get maximum out of these social media sites.
To be more equipped and to learn how things work on these different social media sites, all you need to do is be a part of it. The most important cause of social media traffic is helping to get your content to the mass audience. It sounds really easy to get traffic from these places but you need to be smart enough to get most benefits , and build your blog/ websites accordingly. With time only best stories will be able to get maximum exposure from these sites and only websites carrying right buzz will be able to get maximum repeat traffic from here.
Bookmark this article:-
Technorati Tags:- Social Media, Better Blogging,Blogging Traffic